Pages

Thursday 10 September 2009

...plaid stocking anyone?


The little piece of plaid I made yesterday with my plaid border stamp (Off Beat Backgrounds, releasing soon) was for this little stocking. Christmas is all about homespun for me this year, nostalgic recollections of warm cozy handmade things. I used to quilt you see...

So I've made this tiny stocking. It could be a tree ornament but it is designed to hold those gift card thingies you can buy anywhere. I can see me doing a load of these this year, a quick trip into town to purchase about 20 gift cards and then I can spend weeks at home making such things as plaid stocking gift card holders and all my holiday cards, listening to Bing, drinking hot chocolate...!!! lol - more stamping time, less shopping hassle, it's all good! lol.

No, but really, I used to spend weeks shopping for Christmas for all the folks in the family not to mention friends and teachers etc. Now that I have 3 wee folk, I just don't have the same opportunity to do that, one or two nights grabbed late after the kids are in bed is about it. I don't like to buy just any old thing so this year I'm thinking, let everyone pick what they like, it might work, lol.

Now, have a peep at the pic below. The stocking uses 3 stamps from the new Off Beat backgrounds stamp set due to be released here on my blog towards the end of the month, date TBC.

The stocking cuff is stamped with a little 'stitch' border stamp which is also eminently suitable for making backgrounds. The heel and toe pieces use a 'graph paper' stamp - I love this stamp. Love the teeny tiny wee squares!! lol, so many uses. More on this later.




As you can see above, the wee cuff of the stocking is a flap which opens up to reveal the gift card ( I used a blue dummy made from plain card, not having any gift cards handy). I lined the back of my flap with a piece of cream card, you can stamp any sentiment you like in here.

The photo below shows just how dinky this wee stocking is compared to a gift card.

So, anyone fancy having a go? Yes? good, cos I went to all the bother of making up a template!! lol, It can be found on SCS, follow the link HERE or in the sidebar to reach it. Have fun, and do leave a comment sometime with a link if you make one of these - I'd love to see!!


The pic below will be handy if you have downloaded the template and are unsure about my glu-ing instructions.


A note about the next release

I was really heartened by all the comments left when I asked what folks thought about pre-ordering, thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and I'm so glad you did. I will be glad to keep the releases pretty much as they are. This next release may well be the biggest I do for a long time as I am hoping to have an official Launch party, releasing maybe as many as 5 sets, launching a brand new web store and starting the DT.

There is so much for me to get through that I might just spend the whole time between now and then sneak peeking and previewing the sets. This week I just couldn't resist telling you all about the plaid stamp in the upcoming Off Beat Backgrounds set but tomorrow I aim to start some sneak peeks of the other sets!! Can't wait!!! eeek!

So, of you go now and make a stocking!! lol

Stuff:
Stamps: Off Beat Backgrounds (to be released later this month), Very Vintage Christmas and Gingerbread Joy - Oven Fresh, All Waltzingmouse Stamps.
Cardstock and ribbon PapertreyInk.

36 comments:

  1. Beautiful! Love the idea and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your stocking is darling Claire! I love the homespun style! I'm lovin' the new set! I already loved it but now I must have it!! Thanks for the template too. I can't wait to see more of your previews! Keep up the fantastic work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Clare,

    I think I have been waiting for you for many years now and I just didn't realise it was you until now :D as the backgroiund stamps are exctly what I have been looking for for many a moon and the grid paper stamp is heavenly.

    Thank you so much for kind words too over at my place - I truly do appreciate them and your licckle stocking is adorable and of course so beautifull and perfectly made.

    Have a great day - I'm so excited for your release.

    Emma xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love your stocking with all the fun plaids and the 'hidden' gift card inside - the stocking is so plump and festive! love the holly on the tag and the pretty ribbon Claire - I'm off to grab that template over on Split Coast!! can't wait to see your sneak peeks!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Claire, this is *fantastic*! I love it! Thank you so much for sharing the template as well. I can certainly see myself making these as gifts and can't wait to see more of your release!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so excited that you are sharing your Christmas ideas! You have so so many of them and are a Christmas crafting inspiration! Thanks for the template too! :>

    ReplyDelete
  7. Claire, this is so cute! I love how it opens to reveal a gift card!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful!! Love the idea of the new stamp set and the sneak peaks you have made are so gorgeous!! I will have a look at the template, thanks for sharing,
    hugs Angela x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Margaret Anne Clark10 September 2009 at 16:32

    All the way through this post I'm thinking "I wonder if I email her, would she tell me the how-to?!" Ahhh you anticipate my every need!! I LOVE THE PLAID/STITCHY/ GRAPH!!! Looking forward to the release of this set ! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so excited to see the release!
    Also hoping to be able to order this time, but the good news is that I still will add the other sold out sets as well- hee!
    Now, if I only had a first-born, I could buy everything you design...
    Thanks for sharing your wonders, Claire. Your inspiration is really a joy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. OHHHH, I cannot wait to order this set!!! I adore your plaid stamps and this stocking you created with them is just genius!! Looooove it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your stocking is adorable and I am so excited about your background stamps! Thanks so much for sharing and I can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is adorable! Thanks for sharing the template! I love the stitch and graph paper stamps...these are right up my alley!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Thanks so much for the template! Hugs, michelle

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can not Wait for this set!!!!

    I LOVE this stocking and and they way you used it on the Holly leaves a few days ago!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The stocking is just all cuteness- I, too, like to decorate in all old, beat up, and antique Christmas things!! Next I need an antique feather tree! Lots of those little stocking with gift cards in hanging on a little feather tree would be the cutest thing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. OMG, I've ALWAYS loved plaids; must be from my half-Irish heritage, huh?! Of course now I'm married to a part-Scottish guy, so it does seem appropriate! And now plaids are the "new rage" for fall! I LOVE it!!! Your stocking is adorable; gonna have to try to make one! Can't wait to see your new sets, Claire!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, wow, wow, this stocking is so cute. Looking forward to seeing your new stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the stocking....looking forward to seeing this set :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The sock is adorable and the gift card idea is one I started using a few years ago. And with wonderful ideas like this I plan to stick to it :)
    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cute! I made one this afternoon! TFS! Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this! It has such a cozy homespun feel to it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome template. I have made one and posted it on my blog if you want to see here http://nzlyn.blogspot.com/2009/10/christmas-stocking-gift-card-holder.html
    Have a great day
    Lynette

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow that is stunning!will be having ago.Love your stamps too.may have to have spending spree.Fab blog too!
    hugs judex

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely darling! Your choice of papers is perfect. I love it! Thank you so much for sharing the template and instructions. I'll be following your blog...beautiful projects!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks so much!! I'm sending my grandchildren checks this year so they can pick out exactly what they want...these will be perfect for them.

    ReplyDelete
  27. claire, i just found this template-(through create with me), thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just found your site and love the stocking! SOO cute! I look forward to seeing more things!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Claire,
    When I click the link on SCS for the stocking template I don't have the right privileges and I'm not sure why. Will you e mail me your template so I can make some stockings? gonestampin@gmail.com
    Thanks,
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful and creative, I loved!
    Nati (from Brazil)
    http://natiquill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this, can't wait to try it myself, thanks so much for sharing the template!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love this card I have just printed the template and then I am off to my craft room!!! Love plaid but my husband born in Glasgow says its Tartan not plaid !!! I just laugh Love your work!! Hugs Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  33. stunning stocking Claire.......thanks for sharing the template......
    xxx Margreet

    ReplyDelete
  34. It's so nice! Thank you for sharing the template. I will make one for my son.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thanks for sharing - such a cool idea

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, :) I read them all and I appreciate you taking time to visit!