Pages

Wednesday 30 July 2008

...a wee flower - tutorial


Well, thank you all for asking for a tutorial - I sometimes put up a tutorial and then think it seems a bit conceited - as if I imagine everyone will want one! I was glad to see that sometimes people do like to know how things are made!!

Anyhow, this wee flower is just the sort of thing I love to come up with - It looks like it takes a lot of time and effort when really it's the easiest wee thing to make.

My tutorial is based on a card I made for my daughter - she likes bright things (sigh).

The card in the tutorial makes a single round of petals - In order to make a card like the one above just draw 2 concentric circles at step 1 and make the cuts around these. Read on and you'll see what I mean.




Step 1
On the wrong side of the card, draw a circle about the size you want the centre of the flower to be. Decide how many petals you want in this round. - I chose 6 for the example so I made 6 equally spaced marks round my circle.

I have a Making Memories slot punch tool that came with a little semicircle tab punch and this is what I used to make the cuts. Each cut was centred on one of the 6 equally spaced marks. - I arranged it so that the little cut bulged out away from the circle - this is vital to making the ribbon sit properly.

If you are making a card with two or three rounds of petals - draw another one or two circles outside this centre circle - make sure they are centred and at least 3/8 of an inch apart. - cut the first row of slits and then cut the next row of slits so that they sit 'between' the first slits. If you look at the photo of the cream flower you will notice how the petals of the second row fall between the petals of the second row.

TIP - I used two different sizes of ribbon - the wider one (2nd row petals) was just over half inch and the smaller one was 3/8 of an inch (1st row petals).

Step 2
Take a length of ribbon about 3 inches long - you can cut it shorter when you've practiced a couple of times. I used 15mm (just over 1/2 inch) wide ribbon for this example.

Fold the ribbon round on itself - see pic 2 - to make a little pointy loop and then flatten the loop between your fingers.

Step 3
Push the ribbon, point first, through the curved slit. Pull it out the other side just far enough to allow the loop through. - If you pull it back a tiny bit, the petal will sit up nicely.

Step 4
Repeat step 2 until all 6 petals are made. Note the position of the ribbon in step 4 - if your petals aren't sitting properly check that your ribbon is the correct way round.

Step 5
When you are happy with the petal arrangement, turn the card over and secure the ribbon to the back of the card, I used an extra strong tape.

Step 6
Turn your card over and admire your work.

For the red flower - I made a centre by stamping a tiny circle with a flower centre from the Boxes Bags and Tags stamp set from PTI . I then stuck a little brown ruched ribbon behind it. I cut up a kraft card die cut snowflake (wizard die) to get the four little stamen thingies - not sure if this is what they are really called.


Anyhow - hope this is ok - I would really love to see if anyone makes these.

I'm heading off on holiday in a few days but I'm gonna try to have a few posts scheduled to go up while I'm away.

43 comments:

  1. Fabulous Claire...thanks so much for the wonderful tutorial. Your card is fabulous! I love how the petals peek out from the card, and the way you offset your scallop to create peaks. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Claire, another two breathtaking cards, I'm truly honored to have such a talented friend.

    From your biggest fan :)
    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tut Claire. You are awesome. I don't have that slot punch, so my wheels are turning to figure what else I could use to make these pretty flowers.

    Have fun on your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ribbon flowers are genius - I really admire your creativity and I always find something really inventive when I visit your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Thank you!
    You're excellent.
    Enjoy your holiday!
    emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing how you did this Claire - it does look much easier now that I see you do it! And it's still just gorgeous!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! These flowers you've made look amazing. You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Claire, these are absolutely divine! What a beautiful job you did on both this card and the flower in the previous post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much for the tutorial, Claire! These are so neat! What a creative idea. I've never seen anything like them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love the work you do and that flower is amazing. I am going to try it today. I wonder if I could use it for Christmas cards, like a Pointsettia, well maybe it is too much to do in bulk!
    Thanks for the tutorial, and I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is absolutely gorgeous! Love the colors you've chosen!!! Can't wait to try your tutorial to see if I can create a flower even close to yours! I'll post a link when I do; thanks, Claire!
    I love, love, love tuts, so thanks for doing this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job Claire! Your tutorial is great! Now I just have to get up the nerve to try it myself! Have fun on your holiday!

    ~ Pam
    (prhansen on PTI)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the tutorial, Claire! These are lovely, and I'm going to try my hand at it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a DELIGHTFUL card, and thanks so much for taking the time to share your tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fantastic card and such a wonderful idea, thank you for sharing your tutorial.

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning card, and great tutorial, thanks for sharing
    Beryl x

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW WOW WOW what a wonderful idea
    i want to make some of these for sure .
    hmm i might go off to get my machine to cut the slits for me to make it easier thanks heaps i will show you on my blog when it is finished and link it back to here for sure

    ReplyDelete
  18. Totally beautiful and breathtaking! Thank you so much for sharing the directions! Your pictures of Irland were a pleasure to view as well.

    P.J. Woollcott
    Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks very much for sharing this design, it is really lovely and something quite different.
    Raewyn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your ribbon card is amazing. I love the red one too. Your tutorial is also very clear. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a beautiful idea! THANK YOU FOR SHARING!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Claire,
    Your cards are beautiful and thank you for the tutorials. Keep up the awesome creativity.
    A new fan thanks to Jen C,
    Angie Person

    ReplyDelete
  23. Claire - This is such a beautiful card and technique - thank you for sharing it with us and the lesson.

    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow, claire you have an amazing talent. thankyou so much for shaing it with us xx lucy daubney

    ReplyDelete
  25. That is amazing, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  26. http://www.cricut.com/messageboard/tm.aspx?m=2762732

    I know you said you wanted to see if anyone did a card with your beautiful ribbon flower so I added the post where you can see mine. Thank you so much for sharing!

    P.J. Woollcott

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you soooo much for the tutorial on the Flower. It is amazing. Thanks you.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh this is beautiful Thanks you for the excellent tutorial

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wonderful card and technique! I will have to try it out when I get a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for sharing your tutorial. Beautiful flower card
    eileenpaul

    ReplyDelete
  31. Thank you so much. These are so much fun to make. I didn't have the tool you mentioned but I have Cricut Design Studio and designed a cut file with it so I could use your card idea. Sample on my blog: http://mesharingwithu.blogspot.com

    I have a friend who is also designing a cut file using Sure Cuts Alot graphic design software. Thanks so much for the fantastic inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your blog is amazing. Wonderful job and instructions. Your cards are stunning. Thank you. T

    ReplyDelete
  33. Thanks Claire, this is my first time visiting your blog. I also love the photos from your holiday. I'm glad Susan shared your card with us and the link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your cards are beautiful! Thank you so much for the tutorial. You are very talented!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi Claire.. I just found your blog through someone who was inspired to make a Cricut pattern based on your flower tutorial. Now I saved your blog so I can visit again. Your work is beautiful and so are the picutres of Ireland!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Awesome card. Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Awesome! Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I can't wait to make this card. Appreciate all your work in doing the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your wee flowers are absolutely gorgeous! How creative! Thank you for being so inspiring! :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love this card!!! I am very new at this and your directions make me think that I may even be able to do it. That is a precious picture of your baby. Enjoy her, they grow up so fast. BTW, I love the Irish pictures you've shared with us. Thanks again, Cheryl McCook, N. Georgia. USA

    ReplyDelete
  40. Claire, This is an absolutely stunning card! The colors are totally awesome as is your tutorial! Thanks for sharing your wonderful work with others!

    ReplyDelete
  41. wow thanks a lot for that, i cant wait to try it now

    ReplyDelete
  42. Claire, I just found your blog and tutorial from another link and this is great! Thanks for sharing your designs and keep up the wonderful work. I will do this one a lot int he future. Rosie from NM, USA

    ReplyDelete
  43. Thanks for Sharing. The card is beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment, :) I read them all and I appreciate you taking time to visit!